“I’m going to force myself to run three miles each day.”
“I’m going to eat more celery and less chocolate.”
“I’m going to clean the bathrooms more regularly.”
Do your New Year’s resolutions feel more like punishment than positivity? If that’s the case, resolve to make 2024 the year you set some goals you’ll look forward to keeping! If you need a little inspiration to help you get started, consider the following:
The Best New Year’s Resolutions for Caregivers
- Care for yourself. You spend a great deal time taking care of others. Set time aside each day to do something kind, just for you. This might be as simple as a bubble bath before bed, a quick run to a favorite coffee shop, or designated time each day to curl up under a cozy quilt and read.
- Strive to find the bright side. There are difficulties and challenges with caring for an older family member. However, there are also a lot of positives to focus on instead. Rather than fret about the inclement weather that changed your plans, settle in to watch some home movies and reminisce over a cup of comforting cocoa.
- Let go of what you can’t control. So much of the time we spend worrying is the result of things that are outside of our control. Give yourself permission to step back and remind yourself that you are human, and there will be situations you cannot resolve and problems you cannot fix.
- Pay attention to your inner dialogue. Nip any self-directed words of negativity in the bud. If you find you are silently berating yourself for losing your patience, stop and remind yourself that you are a loving, selfless, and dedicated caregiver for the person you love. Because of you, they can continue living at home and enjoy the best possible quality of life. Think about how you would encourage a friend in your shoes, and turn that encouragement inward.
- Accept help. Let this be the year that you realize caring for someone you love is a job that is much more effective when shared. Let friends and family know that you would like some support, and allow them to step in to help with laundry, meals, housework, running errands—whatever would alleviate stress and allow you to attain a healthier life balance.
At Compassionate Nursing Services, we’re here to help make these and any other New Year’s resolutions a reality! Our caregivers are experienced and trained in a multitude of care needs, and can partner with you to:
- Pick up groceries and run any other errands as needed
- Provide transportation and accompaniment to procedures and medical appointments or fun outings
- Offer friendly companionship for an older family member, including engaging conversations, games, puzzles, exercise, hobbies, and much more
- Plan and prepare healthy, delicious meals
- Help with light housekeeping, laundry, changing bed linens, etc.
- And more
From the Compassionate Nursing Services family to yours, Happy Holidays and all the very best in the new year!