It was not long ago when there was a broad presumption that as we grew older, we’d naturally need to move into a nursing home or assisted living facility. There is now a better understanding that living at home for the duration of aging with in-home assistance can be a realistic option. There is also additional information since the pandemic began that aging at home is the preferred and safest choice.
So, how can you determine whether customized home health solutions are ideal for a senior you love? First, you will need to give consideration to his or her degree of functionality within these two areas:
- Activities of Daily Living: These consist of daily tasks like bathing/showering, getting dressed, getting out of and into a chair or bed, using the bathroom, eating and walking.
- Instrumental Activities of Daily Living: These tasks include money management, cooking, shopping, housekeeping, taking medications properly, transportation and using the phone.
If a senior is challenged by any of these types of activities, home care can be very effective in boosting both independence and safety. Not just that, but in-home care from an award-winning agency, like Compassionate Nursing Services, offers countless other benefits, such as:
- An enhanced level of overall wellbeing comes from remaining in the senior’s environment of choice, where she or he is most comfortable.
- An in-home caregiver provides the socialization which is so beneficial for emotional and physical health. During the isolating months of the pandemic, the need for regular social contact became even more glaringly apparent.
- Home care services promote healing after a medical procedure or hospital stay, and lower the possibility for re-hospitalizations.
- Home care allows older adults and their family members to enjoy more high-quality time together. A caregiver who assists with daily chores and errands frees up family members from these tasks. And frequently, older adults feel much more comfortable having personal care needs tended to by a care professional rather than a family member.
- Home care services are highly individualized, based on each individual’s unique needs, routines, schedule, and requests.
- With the one-on-one care provided by an in-home caregiver, care is not shared with other residents as in a facility setting – meaning needs can be met immediately without waiting for a senior’s turn.
- A healthier lifestyle is possible for older adults receiving care at home. Caregivers can prepare nutritious meals that are appealing, provide medication reminders, offer motivation and encouragement to remain physically active, and so much more.
- With transportation and accompaniment provided by the caregiver, an older adult can remain engaged in the community through outings to fun destinations, visits with friends, lunch dates, religious services and so much more.
At Compassionate Nursing Services, our Clayton senior services, also available in surrounding communities, help older adults make life the best it can be throughout aging. Our caregivers are background checked, fully trained, and experienced in an array of senior care needs in the home. Reach out to us any time at 314-432-4312 for a no-cost in-home consultation to find out if home care is suitable for a senior you love.