We either love them or avoid them, but whatever our stance on New Year’s resolutions, there is something fantastically refreshing about moving into a whole new year, providing us with a totally new slate and a chance to make any modifications we wish to improve quality of life or even accomplish a new goal or dream.
For family caregivers, resolutions can be particularly important, as they affect not merely the caregivers themselves, but their loved ones. It is worthwhile, however, to keep resolutions practical. Resolving, for instance, to get an entire eight hours of sleep each night, while caring for a loved one who struggles with sundowning issues in Alzheimer’s, can be setting yourself up for failure.
Try instead to take into account one of the following resolutions specifically designed with family caregivers in mind. Contact us online or call us at 314-432-4312 to see if our care team can help.
- I will reach out for support and help, and accept assistance when offered.
- I grant myself license to say “no” to requests to avoid taking on much more than I can normally handle.
- I will make my own health (both physical and mental) a main concern, making sure that I arrange and keep medical checkups and appointments.
- I will remind myself that self-care is not selfish, and that by taking good care of myself, I am able to take the best possible care of my loved one.
- I will examine closely my energy level, and make a plan in order to avoid allowing myself to reach the point of exhaustion, burnout, or depression.
If even the simple thought of accomplishing some of these goals feels too lofty to even contemplate, we’ve got a solution! Partner with Compassionate Nursing Services. We provide in-home respite care on a routine schedule, allowing yourself necessary time away from meeting the care needs of your family member, while knowing she or he will receive a wide variety of benefits as well, such as increased socialization through the companionship of a skilled, knowledgeable, and thoughtful caregiver.
Starting with a free of charge in-home consultation, we will listen to the unique requirements and challenges of your senior loved one, and create a personalized plan of care to fulfill those needs, through an assortment of services such as:
- Assistance with personal hygiene, dressing, ambulation and transfers
- Running errands, such as buying groceries and picking up prescriptions
- Accompanied transportation to medical appointments and pleasant outings
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Meal planning and preparation, in accordance with any prescribed dietary plans
- Engagement in conversations, reminiscing, games, exercise, and other pastimes which are typically of interest to the senior
- And lots of others
Contact Compassionate Nursing Services, a Chesterfield caregiving agency serving the surrounding areas, by calling 314-432-4312 today, and make the initial step towards achieving a new goal in 2020!
From all of us at Compassionate Nursing Services, we wish you happy holidays and all the best in the year to come!