You’ve just finished speaking with Mom on the phone, and have a feeling that something is not quite right. Even though it was a nice chat, her memory lapses were alarming. She assured you that she’s absolutely fine – that she’s eating very well (although she couldn’t remember what she had for dinner), taking her medications, and having no issue keeping up with the household chores. If you are interested in exploring care options for the elderly to ensure that a loved one is safe, a good first step is to arrange for an in-home consultation from a respected home care provider like Compassionate Nursing Services. This enables a knowledgeable, objective third party professional to talk with the senior within the comfort and familiarity of home, while assessing several critical areas.
The Senior’s Overall Wellbeing
Over the course of the consultation, the home care expert will find out how the older adult is feeling, both physically and emotionally.
- Is she or he bored or lonely?
- Physically active?
- Balanced and steady, or susceptible for a fall?
Additionally, cognitive wellbeing is considered.
- Is the senior forgetful?
- Are there any concerns with wandering, agitation, aggression, confusion?
- Does he or she seem capable of successfully managing the household?
Activities of Daily Living (ADLs) and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living (IADLs)
It’s essential for a loved one living independently to be able to attend to daily tasks that come under two categories: ADLs and IADLs.
ADLs include activities such as:
- Showering/bathing as well as other personal hygiene needs
- Getting dressed
- Using the toilet
- Moving from bed to chair and throughout the home independently
IADLs are less fundamental, but still essential to independent living, and include:
- Planning and preparing meals
- Running errands and shopping
- Taking medications as prescribed
- Making and receiving telephone calls
- Bill paying/money management
The Home Environment
The in-home consultant can also evaluate the senior’s living space for any potential risks and hazards, such as:
- Issues that could contribute to a fall: low-lying furniture, clutter or electric cords in the senior’s walking paths, stairways without proper handrails, no grab bars in the bathroom, loose throw rugs, and much more
- If there are fresh foods available that aren’t beyond the expiration date, moldy, etc.
- Whether there are any signs of accidents, such as burn marks on the counters or scorched pots/pans
- Unopened mail piled up
- Dirty dishes stacked on the counters, or any other signs of trouble with maintaining the home to healthy standards
Based on the results of the consultation, the home care professional can create a customized care plan which will outline the ways an in-home caregiver will help tackle any difficulties being experienced. Often with just a little support, seniors can continue to live and thrive in the home where it is most comfortable, with enhanced safety to bring families peace of mind, while never sacrificing the older adult’s independence and freedom.
Get in touch with Compassionate Nursing Services to arrange for a free in-home consultation for an older adult you love today! You can reach us any time online at 314-432-4312 to learn about care options for the elderly and our award-winning senior care in Oakville and nearby areas.