Finally – it’s the holiday season! Families and friends gather together from near and far to celebrate, reminisce, and share in the feelings of joy and love that make this time of year so special. And of course, what would the holidays be without festive decorations to enhance our living space and rekindle recollections of treasured holidays past?
As satisfying as it is to dive into decorating, the following holiday tips for seniors are crucial to keep in mind to ensure that the season remains free of possible hazards:
- Skip the fires. While chestnuts roasting on an open fire sounds delightful in a song, fireplaces and candles are primary contributors to holiday fires. Battery-powered candles are a less dangerous alternate to produce a warm setting.
- Think artificial. If the senior would enjoy a tree to decorate, a safe and low-maintenance option is an artificial tree as an alternative to a freshly cut one. And be especially careful with ornaments. Though vintage decorations are truly a treasure, some of them are made from delicate glass. A solution to keep both your senior loved one and his or her ornaments safe is to carefully pull out and enjoy viewing and sharing stories about glass ornaments, but then place only shatter-proof decorations on the tree itself.
- Reduce the risk of electrical mishaps. Carefully check strings of lighting and other decorations that use electricity, as well as extension cords, to verify they’re free of damage or fraying. Upgraded guidelines for holiday lights were identified in 2015 by the Consumer Product Safety Commission to incorporate over-current protection, a minimum wire size, and other criteria, so it’s a good idea to replace any older electric decorations with newer, less hazardous ones. And, be certain to unplug all lights and decorations when they’re unsupervised, such as when leaving the home or going to bed.
Another excellent way to be sure that seniors stay safe at home and completely enjoy the holiday season is by partnering with a skilled home care agency, such as Compassionate Nursing Services. We allow families to step back from the hustle and bustle and engage in quality time together, by aiding with a wide array of senior home care needs, such as:
- Housework and laundry
- Meal planning and preparation
- Personal care needs, such as dressing, showering/bathing, hair care, etc.
- Transportation to fun events, visiting with family and friends, medical appointments, etc.
- Pleasant companionship to participate in favorite activities and pastimes together
- And so much more
Our caregiving team is fully trained and experienced in providing the St. Louis home care that improves quality of life for older individuals, right where they’re most comfortable: at home. Contact us at 314-432-4312 for more holiday tips for seniors, or to schedule a free in-home assessment to find out how our customized senior care can help your loved one.